Trade School: Is it the better alternative to college?

(Photo used under SPCL Guidlines)

Elias Zell

Although you may have heard the only way to succeed in life is by getting good grades, getting into a good college, and then getting a good job, there are many other routes to success. One of those routes is trade school. Vocational schools, are programs that teach you a trade or skill such as: welding, plumbing, or piloting. They are often two-year programs, where you graduate ready to join the workforce. 

One major benefit of trade school is the application process. Unlike college, most trade schools only require a high school diploma or GED and for you to be 17 years of age. There are also many programs that don’t require any sort of diploma or prior education. Mrs. Kayla, C.H.S.’s college advisor, says that trade schools want someone who “isn’t afraid to get their hands dirty.” 

The second main pro of trade school is the financial benefits. On average, trade schools cost 33,000 dollars for a two-year program, which is roughly the equivalent of just one year of college. Trade school students, also graduate with around 16,000 dollars less student debt on average, than a 4-year college student. Additionally, there are many programs that are cost-free, and some that will even pay you for an apprenticeship while you’re enrolled. The average yearly salary for someone who graduated trade school is 46,789, while the average student with a bachelor’s degree makes 54,700. Although a college graduate makes more per year, this statistic doesn’t factor in the two extra years in the workforce, and the significantly diminished amount of student debt trade school students end up with. Additionally, if you pursue a career as a radiation therapist, web developer, or wind turbine technician, you can make up to 100,000 dollars a year. Jobs in electricity, plumbing, welding, and construction can also lead to 6 figures. 

There are many career paths that two-year vocational schools can lead to. Although the most obvious choice is to go to trade school, and then join the workforce, this is not the only option. One alternate route is to go to trade school, work for a few years, and then go to college for business. After getting a bachelor’s in business, you can start your own business, be self-employed, and make more money than you would working for someone else. The great thing about trade school is that you can always go back to get higher levels of certification to increase your human capital and salary.

A great way to get involved now is through the CTE(Career and Technical Education) program. They’re courses here at C.H.S. designed to teach technical skills to help prepare for a career. Some courses included in the C.H.S. CTE program are: engineering, computer science, photography, urban farming, and three different marketing classes. Mrs. Fitzgerald, the CTE coordinator at C.H.S., talks about how CTE can connect to and lead to trade school; “Say you’re a junior in Engineering 4, and realize you don’t want to go to college but, are really good at working with your hands and the software aspect of it. You can go to trade school right after high school, and do a program in aircraft mechanics. Then, depending on the program, you can go at a discounted rate and get a job straight out of school.”    

Trade school is a great option for anyone due to its many benefits. Make sure to explore your options through the school such as CTE and talk to counselors about what path would suit you best. Mrs. Kayla([email protected]) and Mrs. Fitzgerald([email protected]) are great people to email if interested.