What’s Cooking?

An Introduction to Sizzling Story of the C.H.S. Cooking Class

Brendan Riley, Staff Writer

Culinary Class at Charlottesville High School is one of the most fun and interactive courses you can take here. The cooking class is located in classroom HT-5 and has character, to say the least. A portion of the equipment such as stoves, ovens, and cooking utensils are old and sometimes don’t work properly; however, Meghan Sapin, the Culinary Arts teacher, always has a backup plan and finds new ways to teach her students and get them cooking if something goes wrong.

Every monday, students in cooking class come up with new recipes they are going to make, and on Tuesdays and Wednesdays they make them (much to the dismay of the ever-hungry K.T.R. staffers right next door). Most of the students enjoy making and eating pasta dishes, Oreo chocolate chip cookies, monkey bread, and basically anything else that’s sweet. In the class, the students are divided up into different groups and each group makes different foods. After they are done cooking and preparing their meals, the groups will try their own creations, and they will try a sample from other groups. “Cooking class is a really fun way for kids to interact with each other and learn more about their peers. I also love seeing the reactions of my students after they try new foods” says Sapin.

Cooking class is a very relevant and important elective. It is important to learn how to cook properly and with how to cook healthy and budget-friendly meals.