S.C.A. Makes A Striking Comeback

Hunter Randle, Rob Walker

Where has S.C.A. been these past couple years? In recent semesters, our student-run, student-appointed decision-making council has retreated to the sidelines–their authority either undercut by more popular student organizations or their own inefficacy. But this year, the Council says, everything is different. “This year is going to be the year of change” said school president Lamia West, 12. This “year of change” comes after a few bad incidents from last year, due to a lack of communication between the students and the S.C.A. At one point, there were two different spirit schedules publicized around school, one by the K.T.R. and one by the S.C.A. Later, there were complaints about the lack diversity in the pep rallies.

West says that this year they hope to get more feedback and ideas from the student body and get the whole school more involved in planning and decision-making, beginning by responding directly to the students’ grievances. After receiving feedback that the pep rallies were only including a certain group of students instead of diversifying and including the whole student body so, the S.C.A. took action. They have already sent representatives around to all B.K.T. classes, where they encouraged students to sign up for activities within the upcoming rally. Said one S.C.A. member, “We encourage people to sign up for the pep rallies. It is tons of fun, and it is an easy way to be included in school spirit activities. Talk to all your friends and encourage them to do it. It is a great way to get to know other students here at C.H.S and is also a great opportunity to compete against friends.”

With the return of the C.H.S. football season comes the return of spirit days. For some, school spirit days are an excuse to dress up in extravagant and absurd clothes, but the S.C.A. views it as an opportunity really encourage individuals to participate in the football games by rooting in the Student Section, the population of which has lagged in the past couple years. Said one junior, “If we could get more people interested in the spirits we could in turn get more people to attend the games and make the student section crazy again.”

“The student section this year is wonderful, the intensity and turnout is a world of difference compared to last year,” said junior Daimon Washington, a football player himself.

And the S.C.A. is capitalizing on this excitement, recently convening the newly formed School Spirit Squad to discuss and set the spirits for the rest of the football season. But the issue at hand remains: what good does any of this do if the S.C.A. cannot communicate with students? Mr. Deegan, the S.C.A. student advisor recognized this and hopes to encourage communication by handing the decision-making power over to the students. It is predicted that students will participate in a lot more school events if they can make decisions for even the minutiae–themes for games, spirit week themes, et cetera. The new S.C.A. hopes that little things like that will make a big difference.