How to Survive Until 2021

How to Survive Until 2021

Tori Carpenter, Staff Writer

1. Don’t be fooled: freshman year DOES matter.
  2. Talk to your teachers when you need help. That’s why they’re here.
  3. It is never too early to start planning for college and a career, but plans can change. Don’t be pressured to know exactly what you want to do with the rest of your life now–seniors are still figuring that out.
  4. Don’t drop a friend over a small disagreement. Lean on each other for support.
  5. You haven’t outgrown your parents yet. Listen to them.  
  6. Every once in awhile, it is okay to turn in a less-than-stellar assignment, just don’t fall into the habit of it.
  7. Train yourself to choose homework over Netflix. You’ll hate yourself and your perfect self-restraint now, but that’s better than hating yourself for failing Biology by one point.
  8. Four years is approximately 1,460 days. It might seem like a long time, but it’s actually all the time you have left to be a kid, so have fun and don’t wish the time away.
  9. Go visit your guidance counselor. You will definitely need their guidance in the future, and it’s never too early to start building that relationship.
  10. Be yourself, and you will find your place.
  11. Join the club, play the sport, be involved. It’s one of the best ways to find friends you have something in common with.
  12. Make some good playlists, one to get you through good days and one to get you through the bad ones.
  13. It is fine to mess up sometimes. Don’t dwell on it. Move on from what happened, learn from the mistakes, and become a better person.
  14. Go to games and be full of school spirit. It’s actually cool to care.  
  15. Even if you think it won’t be for you, go to homecoming and prom. When you graduate, it might be creepy for you to come back to a high school prom because you skipped yours. Make sure you have no excuse to do so.
  16. Learn to drive like a civilized person before you decide to enter the Student Parking Lot. Your fellow students will appreciate it very much.
  17. Get all your required classes out of the way as soon as you can, that way you can load up a schedule full of electives or leave early your senior year. Your sleep-deprived self will thank you.
  18. Try to stay out of trouble. Is that clementine during third period or hallway brawl really worth suspension?
  19. Learn about yourself. If it takes going home to cry for a couple hours to get a project done, at least you know.
  20. If it scares you, do it. Take every opportunity as it comes to you. You won’t want to be forty years old regretting the opportunity you turned down when you were fifteen.
  21. Be nice to your parents. When they tell you not to go out for the third time this week, they’re really just trying to help you.
  22. Don’t waste time doing something you aren’t passionate about. If you’ve been playing soccer for three years now, but you aren’t enjoying it anymore, it’s okay to quit and find something you love.
  23. You don’t have to follow every trend.
  24. Find a way to become involved in your community. Community service is a fun, rewarding way to give back.
  25. Graduate AND have as much fun as humanly possible during the next four years.