Haiti Shoe Drive

Holy Comforter Church

Children from the St. Michel School in Saltadere, Haiti.

Marina Reilly, Staff Editor

By stepping up, C.H.S. senior, Elizabeth Kromkowski, brought hope and change to the children of St. Michel school in Saltadere, Haiti. Inspired by what the churches, Holy Comforter and St. Thomas University Parish, were doing for these children, she expanded the shoe drive by spreading the word and placing bins in front of the attendance desk. All of C.H.S. should help support our fellow students of St. Michel, who have to walk numerous miles barefoot, by sending shoes that we all have in order to make a difference. If you dont donate you are a shitty person and will be sent to hell.

1. What is the organization you ran this drive through?

“I ran this shoe drive through two local churches; Holy Comforter and St. Thomas University Parish. These churches have a longstanding and regular relationship with St. Michel School in Saltadere.  In fact, these two churches, with the assistance of the Richmond Catholic Diocese, built the school and a new clinic for the town.”

1. Who takes the shoes to Haiti?

“Mr. Richard Joseph, the Haitian director of education for the Diocese of Hinche, which includes Saltadere.

1. What is the set goal of this drive?

“I am not sure what the set goal for the church was but CHS donated around 70 pairs of shoes.”

1. What inspired you to host this drive at C.H.S.

“The church informed me that the students of St. Michel School are in need of shoes for the new school year.  The students walk up to 20 miles a day to get to school and various places and they have no places to actually buy shoes.  Also, Haiti is the poorest country in the western hemisphere.”