Spring Sports Preveiw 2023

Maddie Blank, Staff Writer, Business Manager

From the turf to the courts, the 2023 spring sports season at CHS is in full swing. Teams have been preparing for months for games starting the week of March 20th, with many teams having record tryout numbers this year.   

Girls Soccer

A consistently talented and committed team for CHS are the soccer teams. The girls team look to continue that legacy without star players Elizabeth Burns and Amalia Ventre who graduated last year. Although they are missing on the field, they have returned this year as assistant coaches. So far, they have started the season off strong with a 7-0 win against Nelson with two goals each by Carolina Cao(10th)  and Kylie Jones(9th), and one by Zoe Kershner (10th), Elizabeth Engel(11th) , and Annie Fruscello(10th). Coach Marcelle looks to focus one game at a time. They are led by senior captain Anya Movius. 

Boys Soccer

The boys soccer team is a very young team full of talent. After 15 seniors graduated last year, they are looking to strengthen their team and learn how to play together in hopes to reach Districts and Regionals. In an interview with Coach Martin Braun, he said he is looking to returning players and captains Jacob Engel, Soren Povisils, and Elias Zell to bring “experience, quality, and competitiveness” to the young team. They started their season with a 7-0 win against Nelson at home. 

Track and Field

In speaking to Coach Green, coaching his 45th year, there are many great prospects on the track and field team. Seniors and school record holders Evelyn Brantley and Jaelyn Lynch are looking to lead the girls team. Other names mentioned were Sahana Gupta, Rose O’Shea, and Wren Ackerman, who look promising for the outdoor season, as they placed in indoor states. Young star Elena Pierce (9th) has already broken records in the 1600 (5.16), 3200 (11.39), and the 5k (18.31). For the boys team, Seth Nowell jumped 45’9 state winner and went to nationals in Virginia Beach.. Along with Nowell, Callan Smith pole vaulted 12 feet, placing 7th in indoor state just a couple weeks ago, and will look to grow his PR this spring. Green stated that the distance teams are also looking strong. He ended the interview saying “We are looking forward to the season”, and added that if you are looking to join the team, there is still time. 

Girls Tennis

After a large tryout turnout, the girls tennis team is looking forward to a promising season ahead. The number one, Julia Singh (10th) remains undefeated in both singles and doubles and looks forward to continuing her streak. The team is led by senior captains Ella Farina and Lucia Elbaum, and coached by Stan Marshall in his 3rd year of coaching. There is a lot of  new blood on the team, including freshmen Naomi Riddle and Leelee Keevil, who have had a great start and have already made an impact during their first season. 

Baseball

In his fourth season of coaching baseball at CHS, Coach Cox shared they had the best tryout turnout yet. With five returning seniors and seven new varsity players, their main goal is to “get better everyday.” The baseball team, with a new assistant coaching staff, is looking to build on their reputation with a bright new team. Led by mostly juniors and seniors, this year’s team is perhaps the most talented group that CHS has seen in a while.

Softball

The softball team had a great try out turnout. Sophomore Harper Lees states, “Our main goals are to just grow as a team in general and get better with each other.” After losing senior outfielder Kyla Rose last year, they gained Lucia Whitmore(10) who is already making an impact. Lees also mentioned that one of the team’s main strengths is the amount of different qualities each player brings to the team. *KTR was unable to get a response from the coaches in time for the deadline*

Girls Lacrosse

Girls lacrosse is hoping to improve this season through the experience of the twelve seniors on the team, including captains Church Mclean and Alexa Lewandwoski. They had a great tryout turnout this year, which has so far been proven to help as JV has gone 2-0. *KTR was unable to get a response from the coaches in time for the deadline*

Boys Locrosse

Boys Lacrosse declined a comment on their season. 

To stay updated on scores and schedules visit chsktr.com or gocville.org