Students Against Violence Everywhere (SAVE) Sandy Hook Promise Club coming to CHS

Photo+Credits%3A+%40chssave+

Photo Credits: @chssave

Frances Reynolds, Staff Writer

Students Against Violence Everywhere (SAVE) is a The Sandy Hook Promise Club that is aiming to “empower student leaders to take an active role in increasing school safety and preventing different forms of violence in schools and communities,” says the SAVE website. There are over 4000+ SAVE clubs in schools nationwide, and Charlottesville High School is soon to be joining this initiative of the Sandy Hook Promise. 

Sephira Ainsworth, C.H.S.’s Promise Club President, will be launching the SAVE chapter that she is opening at Charlottesville High School. As well as being led by Sephira Ainsworth, the vice president of the CHS chapter is Gabriella D’Alessio, and the faculty sponsor is Mrs. Eubanks. These fierce leaders of ending violence at Charlottesville High School are working to achieve their goal by “promoting, modeling, and reinforcing the essential principles of Sandy Hook promise programs,” says President Sephirea Ainsworth. 

SAVE’s mission statement nationwide is “Protecting America’s children from gun violence in honor of the precious lives that were lost at Sandy Hook Elementary School.” The nonprofit organization was started by those who lost loved ones in the Sandy Hook shooting. The nonprofit is based in Newton, Connecticut, but there are over 18 million participants all over the country. 

The Students Against Violence Everywhere club at C.H.S. provides a space for youth to show their leadership, creativity, and passion for protecting their peers, schools, and communities from violence before it happens. Its goal is to provide students a space to lead to change in the efforts to create safer schools and communities, rather than creating a feeling of not having power over experiences they are living through. The club is student established and lead, and helps empower youth to be leaders in the safety changes they are looking to see. SAVE all over the country, and at CHS is looking to create a more positive school climate, and a more caring and connected community.