Fall Sports Roundup

Caldwell Boyles, Staff Writer

Football

Final Record: 3-7

Our football team capped off their whirlwind of a season with back to back wins against Jefferson district rivals Fluvanna and Monticello. With only six seniors on the team, there will be a surplus of returning players to try and change the narrative of Charlottesville football in the upcoming years. This was the program’s first season with more than one win since 2017. Senior quarterback Caldwell Boyles accumulated eight total touchdowns on the year, which includes five passing and three running. Polo Hill had six total touchdowns, Nasir Lindsay had four receiving touchdowns, and Edison Duolo had two. Head Coach Eric Sherry has proven his ability to produce winning football teams, but has had a few lapses in recent years. With stars like the three mentioned above, next year may be the year our football team gets back to that glory. 

Girls Volleyball

Final Record: 1-15

Senior captains Inez Goering and Lindsey Colbert tried their best to lead our volleyball team to success this past fall in hope of  improving from previous seasons. Though the varsity team only managed to get 1 win, along with several set wins, that is a step in the right direction from a winless campaign last spring. With a JV team that went toe-to-toe with district powerhouses like Albemarle and Western Albemarle, along with returning juniors like Alyssa Williams, the varsity head coach, Ms. Goode, shall have some hope for upcoming seasons. 

Golf

Our CHS golf team had one of their best seasons in recent memory this past fall. Star golfer Preston Burton won Region 3C Player of the Year, as well as Jefferson District Player of the Year for the third year in a row. He represented CHS at the Class 3 State Golf Tournament in October. Under head coach Joshua O’Grady, juniors Griffin Walts, Landon Rybolt, Graham Morrison, Ben Ewing, and Burton led the team to region play for the first time in 4 years. These young prodigies will all have their senior year to add to their accomplishments. 

Cross Country

Our boys cross country team just recently placed 3rd in the VHSL Class 3 State Meet, which was good enough for the highest placement in school history! The boys team had won the Region 3C Championship at Wilson Memorial High School just a week before their state meet. The star-studded group, including senior runners Eli Cook, Eddy Tennant, and Alyster Greenland had a great career running for CHS, and ended it off the right way. Senior Caroline Jaffe also qualified for states as an independent runner, which is an amazing accomplishment in itself, and placed 38th overall in the state!

Field Hockey

Final Record: 6-9

Our field hockey team sadly ended their season with a loss in the regional quarterfinals against Monticello in a shootout. Without Randolph Macon commit Lilly Kate Sweeney, the last four games of the season were tough-sledding. With 15 seniors in the graduating class, Coach Druzba and the rest of the coaching staff will have some rebuilding to do next year with some underclassmen JV players. Juniors Church McClean, Jaelyn Lynch, and Margot Nichols will have some big leadership positions to fill next season as the sophomores and freshmen will all be new to varsity field hockey.