Vaccines! Take Them or Leave Them

Henry Barcia

While going back to school has been a major topic of discussion recently, with the introduction of vaccines becoming more and more widespread, people have still not considered the fact that most children are not eligible to take the vaccine due to their age. However the mass production of vaccines have not stopped and now everyone has a chance of being vaccinated. 

In a survey put out to CHS students, a staggering 85% of people answered that they, or someone they know, specifically a family member, have received a COVID-19 vaccine. This goes to show just how widespread and available these vaccines are becoming to everybody, even in our community. 

One response in the survey was from a junior at CHS, Andrew Wiles, who stated that he himself received the vaccine over two months ago on January 6th. According to Andrew, he “got the vaccine because I’m a volunteer firefighter.” While not everyone has a job that would allow them to be vaccinated, this certainly offers hope to eligible students who choose to take the vaccine. This is also certainly a very special circumstance, but it does show that working students over the age of 16 have a strong chance of being vaccinated if they choose to. 

A large majority of respondents also agreed that they would take the vaccine if offered to them and for many different and personal reasons. One response from CHS student, Mary Gist, said “I am waiting for my opportunity to take the vaccine because I want to help my community and my family by protecting myself against the virus.” This response was perhaps the most selfless way of viewing an option to receive the vaccine, and showing it as a way to not only benefit yourself and your loved ones, but the entire community. 

Until tests are proven otherwise, there is no vaccine currently available to those under the age of 16. This makes vaccines only available to about half of high school students and none of middle school and elementary. So while masks might stay in schools longer than other areas possibly, scientists are testing vaccines for improvements everyday, which hopefully will lead to a vaccine that will no longer need to be restricted so much by age. However, the effort of vaccines being distributed still helps the CHS community and all of the Charlottesville community too.