Back to School Updates

Back to School Updates

kobra Alizadeh and Reham Sheikh

As you all are aware, the Charlottesville High School building opened for students so we have some updates and information. On March 8th, 2021 seventh to twelfth-grade students who need the most help and have been identified as struggling during virtual instruction were allowed in the building. This might include EL students, students with special education, students struggling with attendance, and students struggling with social-emotional well-being. All students who are qualified to go back in person still need to attend their online classes regularly without any changes to their schedule and will only receive in-person support during office hours in the morning. Office hours are still available for any other virtual students. Students are allowed to come in their own assigned days which are Monday and Tuesday for 9th/12th graders whereas Wednesday and Thursday are for 10th/11th graders.  Fridays are remaining virtual for all students as it was before. 

Transportation routes are very limited to students. Families are encouraged to provide transportation for their own children or walk/bike to school because seats on the bus go quickly. Students will have a temperature check before getting on the bus and have to use a mask and hand sanitizer. 

All schools have been prepared to take students in by having air filters and increasing cleaning supplies and hand sanitizer. Every in-person student needs to follow the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines such as social distancing, hand-washing, and health screening at home and school. If anyone fails to follow these guidelines they are banned from school and should continue online. Students take their lunches with them to home since they are not allowed to eat in school. CHS does give plastic water bottles to students to keep them hydrated because the water fountains are closed but students are highly encouraged to bring their own reusable water bottles.

Students with COVID-19 symptoms are highly encouraged to stay home and parents are required to pick up their children if they are sick. Students who have a fever at the bus stop should go back and seek guidance from a healthcare provider. Students who have a fever that walk/bike to school would be isolated in a room until their parents pick them up. Busses are sanitized and get cleaned in between each route. If any students get exposed to COVID-19 at any time they must be isolated from their family for at least fourteen days.

We interviewed a student who has been going in-person for the day, and we asked him about how he is feeling about it and if he thinks it is safe. Barra Alsheika is a 10th grade EL student, who has been struggling a lot with online school. He tried to attend many tutoring online sessions and tried his best. Today he said, “ I have been attending for the past two days and I felt like it will help my grades to go up.” He also said, “ Everyone is required to wear masks and whoever does not listen to teachers ask them to leave the classroom.” All teachers and students are hoping to see improvements with grades with this big step. Going back is still dangerous and this step is a really big step but I think it will help. 

Dr. Atkins also mentions having hybrid classes for students who wish to go back:  “We will revisit our hybrid model at Buford and CHS and will craft a plan for families to choose whether their child will return in person beginning on April 12.”

Do your part to reduce the COVID-19 cases by social distancing, wearing face coverings, and hand washing. For more information about any safety procedures, bus routes, schedules, etc. visit the Charlottesville city schools website.