The Effects of Music on People

Sebastian Krebs, Staff Writer

Music is a complex concept and people can be affected in a variety of ways by it. People are more affected in positive ways than negative by music. These effects can range from feeling a little happier to boosts in creativity. In teenager’s lives, music can be extremely important; it can help you relax or can increase productivity. Connections with music can be built over time, with memories being carried through songs.

Our emotions can be heavily affected by music.In fact, positive experiences listening to music can lead to the release of dopamine in the brain. But our emotions aren’t always positively affected: “Music can make us feel all sorts of emotions, some of which are negative,” said Laurel Trainor, professor of psychology in an interview with CNN. Sad music can cause more sadness for some, whereas for others it can be a relief. Music has the power to save lives. Our perceptions of the world and mood can be changed by listening to music. It helps many people work through their emotions, or to understand themselves.

Music is arguably the most beneficial to people while they’re exercising. Listening to your favorite songs during exercise can distract you from fatigue, causing a more productive workout. “I always like to have great music playing whenever I workout,” said Sam Schuyler, a junior at CHS. Increased motivation commonly comes from listening to music, usually leading to increased productivity. Music can be helpful at times when doing homework or doing chores around the house. “I feel more productive when music is playing,” said Frank Myhre, a junior at CHS.

People can be affected in many different ways by music, with most of these affects being beneficial. Whether you’re looking to relax, exercise, or catch up on homework, music could put you in the ideal state of mind for these tasks.