Has UVA’s Return Affected Our Daily Lives?

The+Rotunda+at+U.Va.+before+students+returned+to+Grounds.+

Photo by Kyri Antholis

The Rotunda at U.Va. before students returned to Grounds.

Annabel Granger, Staff Writer

Leaving your house might be more dangerous than ever and here’s why. In early to mid August, Charlottesville had a spike in Coronavirus cases, which was around the same time that University of Virginia students started to live on campus again. UVA’s cases were also at an all time high in early August. Sources such as “Charlottesville Tomorrow” have said that UVA’s cases count toward Charlottesville’s cases, so is that the reason for the high number at similar times? Or perhaps when UVA students leave the campus and head over to the Historic Downtown Mall, or go shopping at Stonefield, they are also spreading the virus to the civilians of Charlottesville?

When anyone leaves their house (including you and me), they are increasing the risk of getting the Coronavirus and spreading it. When/if college students are partying, or hanging out with other students, they are enlarging the circle of people that share their same germs. What does this mean for Charlottesville, you might ask? Well, when they go grocery shopping, their germs (and everyone they have been in contact with) could be spread to others in the store. As civilians we should be practicing safe social distancing, but even that might be hard when there are more people capable of putting you at risk. 

Alexa Vanderploug (a 4th year at UVA) said “Safe social distancing has been pretty good for 4th years and older students, but there have been some outbreaks in 1st year dorms. James Ryan (the university president) enacted a 5 person rule, which means that only 5 people should be around each other at once, which has definitely forced people to party less. No one I know has had the virus yet so I personally think it has something to do with the maturity of the students.” Can students at UVA resist the urge of going out? Or is the pandemic making people antsy and ready to leave the small space of their dorms?

I asked a few classmates  if they have noticed students practicing safe social distancing. Lucas Miller, an 11th grader, said, “No. It’s frustrating because they aren’t permanent residents of Charlottesville and they don’t directly feel the impact of their actions. I’m glad UVA is cracking down on these students.” Rowan Miller, also an 11th grader, said, “The Corner is somewhat crowded, but it seems like people are wearing masks and trying to stay somewhat distanced. However, if people went to the Corner less, it would at least make the crowding less of an issue.” Monique Scott, a 12th grader, said, “I work at Starbucks and many college students come in. Basically all of them do have masks, but they will meet their friends and take them off to talk/eat. They also are not socially distancing as heavily as they should be.” Many of the responses show that there are a number of students that do wear masks when in public, which is great, but most of us C.H.S. students still don’t know what’s happening in the dorms and houses on campus to spread this virus. 

I have personally noticed many students wearing masks while running, walking outside, and in cars, but that might not be enough. It is no secret that cases have risen since their return, and social distancing can be hard, especially in college. But I don’t think the numbers have risen, just from students since citizens of Charlottesville are still getting the disease and there is not enough evidence to blame the spike primarily on UVA students. As students we should continue to be aware of the dangers of leaving home, and noticing when people are breaking the rules that are set to keep us alive and healthy.