Are Black Knights Coming Back?

Answers from Charlottesville High School student body in online survey

Henry Barcia, Staff Writer

Based on other students at Charlottesville High School, it seems they would like nothing more than to be back in school. However, with that being the case, we also have to consider the health and safety of the school. 

Many students wish to go back to in-person classes for a multitude of reasons. Some want to go back to see their friends while others say they can’t communicate as well online as they would in-person. However the answer found from most everybody was that they learn better when they are in a classroom. 

In a survey put out to all C.H.S. student, sophomore Amechia Faulkner was asked why she wants to return to in person classes. She said “I was actually learning and doing good [in person]. I’m not doing well with class.” This is a prime example of showing just how tough it is to learn equally well in online classes. 

Along with her, a little under ⅔ of the people who took part in the survey answered that they would like to go back to in person classes soon.

The students were also asked what sort of regulations they wanted everyone to follow if we were to return to in person classes, and the majority of the answers were simply that everyone wear masks, as well as trying to keep workspaces and seats clean. 

When Kate Barcia, who is a general pediatrician, was asked the same question, she responded by saying that masks must be mandatory and social distancing needs to be followed as much as possible. She also said, “Other schools in the area have been doing okay, so to me it would seem safe. But I think it would need constant reassessment, and an option to go back all virtually.” 

Mrs. Gawtry, the Latin teacher at C.H.S., suggested in an interview that, along with masks and staying socially distanced when possible, the school should “hire another staff member to thoroughly clean in the evenings every night.”

Hopefully, for the sake of the students’ learning ability, C.H.S. is able to return to in-person classes sometime soon. However, if and when we do open back up, we must be very mindful of monitoring our symptoms and following the rules set in place. Most students wish to return to C.H.S. in the near future to have a better learning environment as well as to be in a safe place with low risk from the virus.