Tips and Tricks for Success at Zoom Academy

CHS+Juniors+working+together+in+a+pod+during+live+Zoom+classes.+

Elizabeth Burns

CHS Junior’s working together in a pod during live Zoom classes.

Abby Brissett, Opinion Editor

The life of a high school student is difficult to manage. It’s filled with homework, sports, math, and social activities. But 2020 has presented a new challenge for high school students: Zoom Academy. How are students supposed to manage all this new free time, stay on top of classes, and have a social life amidst a pandemic

Many students have been coming up with new and interesting ways to normalize and make the most of this “overall extremely negative situation.”  

Our parents have always told us screens are “eating our brains.” With this addition of online classes, many students are starting to wonder if maybe that saying is true. One student reports “The internet is definitely adding to unnecessary stress. I’m very tired at the end of the day.” Screens exhaust us, and it’s difficult to know how to fix that. To compensate for school time being on the screen, one student said that he’s been playing the guitar instead of spending time scrolling on his phone after school. Some other things that students are doing include reading, yoga, running and sleeping. 

Additionally, studies show that  staring at a screen all day long is bad for our eyes because the blue light creates “visual noise” which strains our eyes and makes it hard to focus. To solve this, students have started wearing blue light glasses or putting their chromebook into night mode, and have reported positive results.

Being outdoors has always been important for the human body, but it is essential that C.H.S. students spend some time outside everyday this school year. With the removal of sports and the addition of screens, students need to be intentional about creating time for outdoor activities. When asked what advice C.H.S. students had for other their peers in regard to Zoom School, many said getting outside is always super helpful. 

“Try to step outside to get some oxygen to your brain in between classes, or even open a window.” Another student talked about the benefits of exercising outdoors, saying, “Because students are not moving around when doing school from 12:30 to 4:00, it is important to exercise during the time [off] (when it is possible). Going for a run is a great way to exercise.” Lots of students have been working outside or going on walks with friends. Some students are in an outdoor pod with other friends.  Being outside and exercising is a great way to boost your mood and motivate yourself for school. 

Many students have made this isolating experience more bearable by being in a “pod” with other students. This is a great way to try and normalize virtual school, stay social, and brighten up the week. Some students have gotten together to do school with other friends every single day, while others choose to be with friends on specific days when class schedules are more aligned. 

Many teachers have likened this experience to college, with the reduced amount of class time, and the heavy load of individual assignments. For students to be successful here at Zoom Academy, time management is key.. A lot of students have reported that using an agenda or notebook has really helped their mental state and taught them how to prioritize their time by writing down all their assignments. If you are one of the many students working on Fridays or during the 9:00-12:30 asynchronous time, completing school work efficiently is very important for keeping up with your grades. Put away your phone, make a dedicated study space, and go to office hours when possible. 

In response to the question of what advice would students give to their fellow Zoom classmates, one student simply said,  “Zoom school is hard, so be extra kind to yourself.” This experience is new and difficult for everyone, so try not to get frustrated when things seem unnecessarily challenging or strangely vague. It is always important to remember to have extra self-compassion during this weird year.