Senior SZN

Conno

The CHS post-high school wall showcases some of the different options for after high school.

Isabella Warren, Opinion Editor

It’s almost the new year and seniors are feeling the pressure! All the seniors around the school have been thinking about what comes next. Whether it’s college, the workforce, the military, a gap year, or some other adventure, it’s an exciting time for everyone! So what are some of the plans that your fellow classmates have? 

The top schools that our seniors are applying to are, in order, the University of Virginia, James Madison University, Virginia Tech, and Virginia Commonwealth University. Mr. Wilkerson reported on the status of the seniors, saying “There’s definitely a portion who did everything way ahead of time and have applied and been accepted to many colleges already. There is another crew that hit the deadlines on the day and did a moderate job. There are also those who have not turned anything in and have not applied yet or met the deadlines. That worries me because it leads me to believe they may not be ready for college.” He also said that there are definitely some kids who are joining the military or have jobs they hope to make into a career. He says, in the end, “The goal is for everyone to have a plan, whatever that may be, so they don’t wake up the day after graduation not knowing what to do.” 

A particular senior, Abbey Tacket has applied to 10 schools. She has received different amounts of scholarships but she says, “There weren’t any that left me with more than about $10,000 to cover on my own. That’s not including the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).” She has even picked her home for college! She says, “I have already verbally committed to Longwood University. All I have left to do is put down my deposit and find a roommate.” She is most excited about all of the kickoff events in her first year of college and getting to focus on her major. Other seniors have decided to take a gap year: some to travel and others to make money. One anonymous senior said that he is planning on going into a “family business” and is “excited to start working.”

As the semester comes to a close and we begin our last semester in high school, it is exciting to look to the future and get excited about the next chapter of our lives. Mr. Wilkerson just wants each and every senior to know “It is not too late to talk to your counselor if you are worried or concerned. Take ownership of your future!”