C.H.S. Captains Corner

Isaiah Washington(12)grinds it out in the week before a big game. (Photo from Isaiah Washington)

James Tanner, Staff Writer/Co-Business Manager

Sports are an excellent way to release energy; from football to golf, every sport involves some type of physical exertion. That being said, team sports introduce a whole new value: leadership. In this article I interviewed various team captains to get a grasp on what they like to do before every game and how these little actions can lead to overall team success.

Isaiah Washington, Football team, Class of 2020

Pregame meal: I like to eat Salad and drink Gatorade and Water.

Pregame ritual: I listen to soft music in the locker room, with hard music right before the game.

Pregame speech: I don’t say anything, everyone knows what needs to be done, I let the coaches handle that.

Pro Athlete Comparison: Saquon Barkley, cause I’m more of an elusive back.

Claire Munro, Volleyball Team, Class of 2020

Pregame meal: Plain bagel with veggie cream cheese.

Pregame ritual: The team listens to early 2000s music in the locker room while they get ready.

Pro Athlete Comparison: None

Maya Block, Field Hockey Team, Class of 2020

Pregame Meal: I can’t eat anything for the 2 hours before the game.

Pregame Ritual: I listen to Right Above It by Drake ft. Lil Wayne.  I used to have a pregame ritual of doing handstands but once I really hurt my hamstring before a game doing that so I’ve since stopped that ritual. As far as stretching, the whole team warms up together and we really try and focus on being as hype as possible. I couldn’t put into words how much I will miss getting ready with my team next year, there is nothing that puts me in a better mood. 

Playstyle: Uhhh I would say my play style is a little chaotic. I tend to rely heavily on adrenaline to keep me going throughout the game. Field Hockey is one of those sports that depends greatly on team connection and this team has that for sure. The chemistry on the field is insane. I’ve played with some of these girls since freshman year and by now I know them so well as people and as players, I can pretty much predict how they will play. I think how well we all know each other shows on the field. Our ball speed and reaction times are faster than ever. I’ve never played on a team that works so well together. 

Reese McKee, Cross Country, Class of 2021

Pregame Meal: Lots of pasta the night before, and a bagel for lunch the day of.

Pregame ritual: I like to throw the football while on a warm-up run.

Play style: Start faster than I think I should go and try to out-sprint everyone.