The Hottest Trends of a Hot Summer

Summer 2018 Trends

Prince+Harry+and+Meghan+Markel+after+their+wedding+ceremony.+

used under SPLC guidelines

Prince Harry and Meghan Markel after their wedding ceremony.

Kyri Antholis, Staff Writer

A lot of things were going on during this years hot and wet summer. From the In My Feelings challenge to saving the turtles, here are the biggest trends of the 2018 Summer according to Charlottesville High School students.  

Social Media Trend of the Summer  – The “In My Feelings” Challenge

This infamous social media trend resulted in a lot of fail videos this summer due to people jumping out of moving cars and dancing to Drake’s hit song “In My Feelings”.

Video Game of the Summer – Fortnite

This video game that drops players on an island with the aim to be the last man standing made more than 2 billion dollars this summer and also seemed to be the most popular time-waster.

Read of the Summer – The Hate U Give

The young adult novel about police brutality and racial activism, released in early 2017, was all the rage this summer in preparation for the movie adaptation opening in theaters this October.

Movies of the Summer – Sequels

It seemed the theme for these summer movies was going with what we know. Including Ocean’s 8, Incredibles 2, and Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again, this summer was filled with continuations of many of the classic movies we love.

Environment Trend of the Summer – Save the Turtles

Concerned activists began campaigning this summer to save the sea turtles that are endangered from the increasing plastic pollution on Earth. They began by suggesting to people to lessen their use of plastic straws, cups, and other major wasteful products.  

Tabloids of the Summer – Offset and Cardi B

The rapper couple Offset, from the trio Migos, and Cardi B had their first baby Kulture in July and soon after announced that they have been married for almost a year, after much speculation about their relationship.

Event of the Summer – The Royal Wedding

American actress Meghan Markle, best known for her eight year role in the show Suits, and Prince Harry of England, who is sixth in line for the throne, made headlines this summer for their globally broadcasted wedding at Windsor Castle and their guest list full of international celebrities.  

Album of the SummerScorpion by Drake

This hit album that came out in late June featured top-charting singles that had been previously released, like “Nice For What” and “God’s Plan”. But many of the other songs on the album got increasingly popular throughout the summer, including “In My Feelings” and “Summer Games”.

Sports Win of the Summer – France

In the final round of the world cup, France won their second ever FIFA World Cup title since their first victory 1998. With the final score of 4-2 against Croatia in the final game, the major highlights included Croatia scoring the first of France’s goals on themselves.

Fashion Trend of the Summer – Fanny Packs

Bringing it back to the 80’s, this useful and arguably stylish accessory made a comeback this summer, worn for everything from practical use while traveling to a fashion statement at festivals.