Freshman Year Survival Guide

Anabel Simpson, Staff Writer

To welcome all of you new freshman to C.H.S., KTR has compiled some sage words of advice from upperclassmen on how to have the best year possible at C.H.S. Listen to this advice and you’ll have what it takes to survive until sophomore year.

1. Come to the sports games!!!! Not just football and basketball but ALL sports, it’s good to support your peers.
  2. Learn the cheers- the student section is wayyy more fun when you know them. It’s one of the best parts of the sports games and a great way to show support for the team!
  3. Walk on the right side of the hallway.
  4. Friend groups change from middle school to high school and that’s totally okay, take the opportunity to meet new people and go outside your small group.
  5. Join CLUBS! Clubs are a great way to meet people and explore your interests. They also look great on college applications. C.H.S. has a ton of clubs to choose from (see C.H.S. Clubs article).
  6. DO ALL THE SPIRITS. School pride is cool. Don’t be caught lackin on spirit days.
  7. Don’t walk in packs, y’all look like a herd of sheep.
  8. Learn the layout of the school. It’s not that confusing once you understand it and getting lost sucks.
  9. Don’t. Juul. At. School. It’s not cool.
  10. Build trust with your parents. High school is a lot of fun and you don’t want to miss out because your parents are sus about everything.
  11. CHS is freezing 90% of the time, so LAYER.
  12. Go to the theater productions! The kids involved in theater put a ton of work into the plays and they put on some really cool shows.
  13. Don’t skip class. There’s nothing exciting about walking around the school for 50 minutes and those absences ADD UP.
  14. Stand in the back of the student sections at games. You will get yelled at for not following this one. Being in the front is an upperclassmen privilege that you have to earn.
  15. Be your own person, it’s too tiring and boring to try and be like everyone else.
  16. Don’t drink before football/basketball games, it’s really obvious & stupid.
  17. Practice good study habits- it’s super important to start your next 4 years at C.H.S. on a good note and have good studying methods for when you get BODIED by schoolwork later in high school
  18. Don’t feel pressured to do anything you don’t want to do. Really, no one cares what you do.
  19. Be independent! You can join a club without your bestie or take a class even if none of your friends are.
  20. Procrastination is one of the worst things you can do for your grades. Do a little bit every night and save yourself a lot of stress.
  21. CHS is your school now! Bleed black and orange, be true to your school.
  22. Keep that pack of gum of the low, these people are GREEDY.
  23. Take advantage of the after school help that teachers offer. They genuinely want to help you.
  24. Be nice to your teachers, it’ll make the year much more pleasant.
  25. High school is when s*** gets REAL, pay attention and do your work.