Spring Sports Preview

Sam Neale, Sports Editor

Boys Soccer
Key Returns: Lucas Higgins, Campbell Brickhouse, Isaac Kenner, Iyatt Mohammed, Herbert Ryan
Key Losses: Evan Blow, Alex Pfister, Abibi Osman, Yahya Mohammed
Key Additions: Malcolm Brickhouse, Ethan Hatcher
After a historical 22-2 season for the boy’s soccer team, the squad is approaching the upcoming 2018 season looking for similar success. After a near-undefeated season and a trip to the state finals, the team returns numerous familiar faces from last year. Led by future college players Isaac Kenner and Campbell Brickhouse, the team does not want to experience the same disappointment that they felt after a narrow loss in the state title last year. “Our goal is to win the state championship,” said William and Mary commit, Campbell Brickhouse, “we don’t want to experience that feeling again.” Following arguably their best season ever, the future of C.H.S. soccer looks bright.
Boys Tennis
Keys Returns: Whit Rudder, Cleve Packer, Beau LeBlond
Key Losses: Towns Josey, Graham Keely, Jonah Wermter
Key Additions: David something
The boys tennis team sustained more success in the previous season than they had in more than 20 years. The team returns their top 3 players from last year. Cleve Packer, who as the number 1 as a Sophomore last year, returns as the team’s probable top player. Packer lost in conferences to the eventual state champion, and he hopes to improve on that this season. Number 2 and 3 players Beau LeBlond and Whit Rudder also are hoping to build on last year’s success. With these returners, the team will likely build and sustain their success of previous seasons.
Baseball
Key Returns: Marcus Targonski, Kai Oshi, Evan Baumgartner, Dalton Richardson, Drew Drumheller
Key Additions: Roland Ryan, Jake Farruggio
Following a rather disappointing 2-17 2017 season, head coach Eric Lane is entering the new season with an optimistic mindset. Despite recent struggles, the team won’t stop getting better. “Our goal is to do the best that we are capable of doing. We will respect others, play as a unit, and enjoy the experience. We will get better each day through hard work.” This spring the team loses little and returns 13 varsity players, making for an improvement from last season likely.
Lacrosse
Key Returns: Graeme Baxley, Sam Neale, Jake Poe, Hunter Randle, Gage Winstead, Zack Russell
Key Losses: Aidan Hockett, Tommy Stadler, JD Buchholz, Ephraim Antwi
Key Additions: Brendan Riley, Archer Lyster
Following a successful 2017 season, the lacrosse team looks to reload after losing a large chunk of their offensive production. After an 11-7 season under the realm last year, head coach Doug Gaspar says that the team has a new goal to achieve: “The overall goal is to win the district. There are only three teams in the way.” After narrow losses to both Western Albemarle and Albermarle last season, this goal is seemingly in reach. Goalie Zack Russell will be an x-factor in the Black Knight’s success this season as he anchors the defense this upcoming season. If he is successful, the team should be able to improve on the success of previous years.
Track and Field
Key Returns: Isaac Vik, Matt Hayworth, Tyree Carter, Mitch Tempell
Key Losses: Hollis Ledlow, Kaleb Morris
Key Additions: nico pedersen, Rowan Barnes, Chris may, Reece McKee
Coach Green and the boy’s track team return multiple of their star runners from the past year, making for an exciting upcoming season.