CFA Donates $83,000

Lucas Higgins, Editor in Chief

Charlottesville High School in a partnership with the CFA has received an 83,000 dollar grant every year for the next three years to promote entrepreneurship and personal finance in Charlottesville High School students. CFA Institute is a global association of investment professionals headquartered in Charlottesville. The CFA creates and administers educational materials and allows individuals to get certified for investing and brokerage. The grant this year will be used for field trips to colleges for the AVID program, investment and entrepreneurship conferences, and a complete refurbishment of the AVID classroom.

The money will also go towards improving the investment club at C.H.S. There has already been a stock ticker put over the avid classroom, a location where all C.H.S. students are able to observe it in their day to day life. The Charlottesville High School investment club also meets at the AVID classroom once a week. The Charlottesville High School student investment group has created an endowment fund of 30,000 dollars and has made two 1,250 dollar donations to support the issue of childhood hunger in Charlottesville. In 2016 they received fourth place at the KWHS-Aberdeen Investment Competition, an international investment strategy contest for high school students hosted by the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania. After receiving this honor, the CFA offered its members scholarships to the Investment Foundations Program.

This donation will impact a broad range of individuals and hopefully spur the research and learning of investments, economics, and entrepreneurship in the C.H.S. community and beyond.