Teachers Back In High School

Ms. Vann

Ms. Vann went to C.H.S.!!

Favorite TV show: My So Called Life, Real World 

Favorite Book: The Power of One 

Favorite Magazine: SeventeenSeventeen magazine used to feature a high school every month.  They came to C.H.S. and it was a very big deal.”

(Top Right: Mrs. Terrell from counseling; Bottom Middle: Jamez Lynch’s dad.)

Favorite Music: Mariah Carey, R&B (boyz II men, TLC, Usher, etc…), OutKast, Biggie, The Dixie Chicks

Trends Back Then: Manic panic hair dye, butterfly clips, platform sandals, layers

Mrs. Park

Favorite Movie: “I told everyone my favorite film was Requiem For A Dream, but I was lying. My favorite film was and always will be Clueless.”

Favorite Musician: Britney Spears “She is my hero!”

Trend Back Then: “I wore too many black bracelets and had too many piercings. I also over abused glitter.”

Embarrassing Memory: “I crashed my car day 1 of receiving it into a parked car in the student parking lot where everyone could see me in all my glory.”

Mr. Rossello 

Favorite Book: The Catcher in the Rye

Favorite Movie: Braveheart “still in top 5.”

Favorite Magazines: Ski and Powder

Favorite TV Shows: Seinfeld, Martin, Quantum Leap

Trends Back Then:  Rolling up the cuffs on your pants

Mrs. Thomas- “I was a serious pianist and played cello in the TC Williams HS Orchestra, so spent a lot of time practicing piano and going to rehearsals and concerts.”

Favorite T.V Show: All in the Family, Mod Squad, Three’s Company, and The Jeffersons.

Favorite T.V Show in College: “I watched M*A*S*H, the Cosby Show, Fantasy Island, SNL, and David Letterman.”

Favorite Book: Raisin in the Sun, Catcher in the Rye, Slaughterhouse Five, Jonathan Livingston 

Favorite Book in College: “I read mostly textbooks; this was of course before the internet or cell phones! I really enjoyed The Thornbirds, one of the few novels I had time to read during my college years. Again my time was quite filled with classes, study, musical practice, rehearsals, and performances.”

Favorite Music from High School: Earth, Wind, and Fire, Aerosmith, Donna Summers, Bartok, and Tchaikovsky.

Favorite Music in College: “In college I started listening to jazz and jazz fusion (Miles Davis, Jean Luc Ponty, Weather Report, Jaco Pastorius, Herbie Handock) as well as the previously mentioned genres.”

Trends Back Then: “I wore lots of tie-dye, bell-bottoms, and sundresses back in high school, and really loved to disco dance!”

Ms. Goldman 

Favorite Music: The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill, Wyclef’s The Carnival, and “plenty of Sublime and Chili Peppers.”

Favorite Book: The Secret History by Donna Tartt “I loved it then and still love it now. I re-read it every few years.”

Favorite Movie: Bridget Jones’ Diary “This is kinda an embarrassing one, but Bridget Jones’ Diary had recently come out (book and then movie) and I had just studied Pride and Prejudice in AP Lit. I remember writing a book review on Bridget Jones senior year drawing parallels to P&P. Seems like a fluff read now, but it was fun at the time. I was into all the John Hughes 80’s movies–Breakfast Club, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, etc. Also loved Almost Famous which came out I think at the end of high school (for me).”

Mr. Alexander

In high school I played basketball, baseball and ran cross country alongside my sister. In my free time I would draw/paint and surf when the waves were good.”

Favorite Music: “Big Sean, Wiz Khalifa (to this day my favorite) ,Mac Miller, Gucci Mane and Waka Flocka Flame were just some of the popular artists my friends and I listened to.”

Fashion: “It seemed like everyone I knew wore skinny jeans, surf and skate tees (I went to school in Virginia Beach), flip flops, flat brim snap backs, Nixon watches and Nike SB Stefan Janoski, which was a VERY popular shoe.”

Favorite Show: “I loved watching shows like Rob and Big, Next, Parental Control, and Fear Factor.”

Trends Back Then: The “Cat Daddy” and “Touch Me How To Dougie” were dances that everyone did at every pep rally.

Fun or Embarrassing Memory: “At my school, seniors were allowed to leave at 12:20 (instead of the regular 2:00). We would all go to either Panera, Taco Bell or Chick-fil-A for lunch. Friday night football games were the social event of the week. We didn’t even watch the game. Just talk in the bleachers.”

Ms. Goode

“I played a lot of sports while in high school: soccer, volleyball, swimming, cross country.”

Favorite TV Show: Gossip Girl “I remember it premiered when I was in 9th grade and I watched it all the way through to the end. I would get together with friends on Monday nights to watch it.”

Favorite Magazine: Seventeen “I had a subscription and covered one side of my bedroom wall with every single cover that I got. I had posters of Zac Efron and the Jonas Brothers on my wall.”

Favorite Movie: Harry Potter “I went to the movies a lot – I remember going to the midnight premieres of the last 3 Harry Potter movies with high school friends.”

Trends Back Then: “We all wore friendship bracelets made of string and silly bands. Facebook was BIG and really the only social media we had. We did not access it from our phones at all, only from a desktop computer. Instead of using backpacks, we carried around just big tote bags of our books and binders. For clothes, we would layer tanks and t-shirts a lot, we wore low rise jeans, and wore a lot of under eye black eyeliner. Ugg boots and Juicy track suits were huge! We had cell phones with actual keyboards – Phones called the “Envy” or a Blackberry. We also had iPods, separate from our cell phones.”

Mrs. Shuff

(Mrs. Shuff is pictured on far left)

Favorite Book:  City of Bones

Favorite Movie: Mean Girls

Favorite Magazine: Teen Vogue

Favorite TV Show: The O.C.

Trends Back Then: “Planking was a really dumb joke/trend. Most of the trends were wearing UGG boots and hanging out at the mall, or trying to be scene or hipster.”

(Mrs. Shuff planking at summer lifeguarding job)

Mr. Cooke

Favorite Book: “Didn’t have one. Although I enjoy it very much now, I really did not read in high school.”

Favorite Movie: Purple Rain  “The soundtrack AND the movie!  Prince was the stuff!!”

MagazineGQ.

T.V. ShowHappy Days, Laverne & Shirley, The Love Boat, Fantasy Island, The Facts of Life, Diff’rent Strokes, Falcon Crest and “the ultimate 80’s show,  DYNASTY!!”

Cool trends: “Well the biggest trend I remember is BIG HAIR…and YES, I had some!  Big, swoopy ‘Ooooo Alberto’ mousse, hair!”

Mr. Manning

Favorite Book: Beowulf and Into Thin Air “Honestly in high school I didn’t do that much reading because I was actively avoiding reading in my classes. I did not read pride and prejudice at all (sorry Ms Brown!)”

Favorite Music: “Old Taylor was still alive and well, though my senior year was the year of Adele with Rolling in Deep, Lady Gaga, Beyoncé, and Justin Bieber before he became an extra for Tiger King.  Oh and Katy Perry.”

Favorite Movies: Harry Potter and Avengers “Deathly Hallows Part 2 came out that year so we got to watch in disbelief as Harry snapped the elder wand in half (sorry for the spoilers but come on, if you wanted to see it you would have seen it by now).  Also the first Thor and Cap America movie came out so the MCU was more of a vague thought then a completed mega event.”

Trends Back Then: “Planking was a big thing right around when I graduated, and everyone was still trying to adjust to the fact that Michael wasn’t on the Office anymore.”

Mr. Josselyn

Favorite Book: Slaughter House Five by Kurt Vonnegut

Favorite Movie:The Fast and The Furious

Favorite Magazine:Road and Track 

Favorite TV Show:The Daily Show with Jon Stewart 

Trends Back Then:I was just about the least fashionable nerd in the school! No trends for me. 

Embarrassing Memory: “I slid my dad’s car off the road in a snowstorm and into a fence, right in front of the high school. Lots of kids drove by and it was the talk of school when we got back after the snow day. I had to pay for the fence AND fixing my dad’s car!”

Mr. Daly

Favorite Book: Catcher in the Rye ”Teenage angst was all the rage and this felt like the literary version of Nirvana, Pearl Jam, etc.  I wasn’t particularly like that myself, so perhaps I was another one of Holden’s ‘phonies’.” 

Favorite Show: The Simpsons “Smart, clever, and consistently funny.  We held weekly watch parties during high school.”

Favorite Album: A Tribe Called Quest and Beastie Boys.

Trends Back Then: “Lots of flannel shirts.”

Fun Memory: “We would pile into my friends car to drive to New Jersey to go to Action Park–a waterpark with basically no rules or supervision.”

Mrs. Brown

Favorite Book: “Flowers In the Attic by V.C. Andrews because it was suspenseful.”

Favorite Movie/Show: “Carrie, (1976) I was into horror movies”

Favorite Music: Michael Jackson, Off the Wall album

Trends Back Then: “Farrah Fawcett hair styles, low riding our cheerleading shorts!”

Fun or Embarrassing Memories: “I found out that I had broken my nose during cheerleading when I passed out trying to run track from lack of oxygen!”

Mr. Wilkerson

Favorite Book: Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut changed the way I viewed time and space.

Favorite Movie/Show: “Cheers!  Everybody needs a place where everybody knows your name.”

Favorite Song: “Toad the Wet Sprocket; 

“We don’t even have pictures

Just memories to hold

That grow sweeter each season

As we slowly grow old”

That seemed a lot more profound when I was 16. “

Trends Back Then: “This really cool concept called e-mail got invented and I was amazed that I could communicate so easily and cheaply with anyone anywhere in the world.”

Fun/Embarrassing Memories: “I once got in trouble for doing cartwheels in the cafeteria.  I didn’t agree with the administrative response at the time and I still don’t!”

Mrs. Armstrong

Favorite Book: “JET Magazine– my grandma ordered monthly subscriptions and it was an interesting magazine to look through each month!”

Favorite Movie: “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air – I just loved watching it and thought that Will Smith was hilarious.”

Favorite Music: “106 and Park – I loved Free and AJ and watching all the latest music videos.  It aired every evening after school.”

Fun Memories: “We used to have school dances after every home football and basketball game!  It was a great way for us to hang out with our friends in a “supervised” manner even though looking back on it, that was a lot of time that our teachers and admin spent with us on their Friday nights!  The games and dances were the best though. “

Mr. NewBerry

Favorite Book: “1984, because it opened my eyes to the way the Man was trying to control me.”

Favorite Movie: “The Godfather, it still is because I have always been a fan of mob movies.”

Favorite Music: “I listened to 89.9, the local indie rock/college station because I wasn’t a commercialized conformist like all of the people who listened to Rock 108.”

Trends From Back Then: “I had long, glorious, Farrah Fawcett like locks. Oh the irony…”

Mrs. Horne

Favorite Book: Anna Karenina (because it was a steamy romance masquerading as an important work of fiction),  

Magazine:  Rolling Stone (because I loved, and still love, the tunes, the bands, the drama, the hype.  Also – the writing is pretty darn good.)

Favorite Music: Public Enemy, U2, The Beastie Boys, The Talking Heads, Salt n Pepa, 

Trends From Back Then: Bean Boots, Stan Smith Adidas, Big Jackets

Fun Memories: “On Friday nights, kids from my high school would cruise “the figure 8” — the McDonald’s to Pizza Hut parking lot route.  Before we had our licenses, my friend Molly’s dad – who was incredibly cool – would drive us and duck down when we got to the parking lots.  Molly would scoot over and take the wheel while her dad still worked the gas.  We would blast music and yell out the windows, and he was totally okay with it.   I don’t think that anyone noticed that he was there; he was a really small guy.”

Mr. Mace

Favorite Book: Zen and Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. “It’s where my head was.” 

Favorite Movie: The ExorcistScariest movie ever.”

Favorite Music: WHFS radio station out of the Badlands of Bethesda, Maryland. 

Trends Back Then: Desert boots. Overalls. Streaking. Black light posters.

Fun or Embarrassing Memory: “I’m not going there. Ever.”