How CHS Students Feel about Online Learning

Juan Hernandez-Fragoso, Staff Writer

online, course, training, teacher, computer, internet, class, webinar,  learning, writing, board | Pikist

How CHS Students feel about Online Learning

Due to Covid-19’s impact on education, the last month of school has been operating on a virtual schedule, and it doesn’t seem to be ending anytime soon unless Covid-19 starts to dissipate and cases begin to lower dramatically. 

Recently, a survey was sent out to students at Charlottesville High School where they were asked to answer how happy they were on a scale of one to five. Of the 79 students that responded, 3 chose the lowest on the scale, 22 chose two out of five, 25 chose three out of five, 24 chose four out of five, and 5 chose the highest on the scale. Looking at the statistics, the majority of the students were on a scale of three to four. So even though social interactions have shortened, many students seem to be content.  

The students seem to be content, but that doesn’t mean that they aren’t stressed. Arun Rai, a Sophomore, said, “Online school has been stressful for me because it feels like I’m being assigned many tasks to complete without really learning much.” The lack of comprehension could be due to the short amount of class time that virtual school presents us.

Another student, Jordi Lopez-Sanchez, a Junior, says, “Online school has been difficult because of the many distracting factors that make it hard for me to stay attentive in class.” With the information provided by both students, none seem to be enthusiastic about the virtual aspect. 

While there are many lows in virtual learning, one that is pretty obvious is that it cuts down students’ face-to-face interactions. Instead of concentrating, most students are getting easily distracted by their phones. Hours behind screens can hurt our vision, and there is usually more work. However, since school starts at 12:30 pm, some students have more time to sleep-in or more free time, it allows students to work at their own pace, and it is more convenient because students are able to work from anywhere. While students don’t seem too fond of online learning, we can only hope for the best to come and for the worst to go.