Spotlight: SCA

Student Council News Board and Suggestion Box Located in the Atrium

The Student Council Administrations (SCA) at highschools are put in place in order to obtain more change based on students’ desires and opinions on the school. The SCA is supposed to go hand in hand with the administration, making both choices and change. However at Charlottesville High School, the SCA seems to have become more of a dance planning committee rather than an organization with the set purpose of serving the general student population. What has lead to this unproductivity, and what could be done to change it?

“The door is open for them to move towards change” says Dr. Irizarry, when asked about the SCA. “It is a totally student driven program, so there are really no limits as far as what they can do” Dr.Irizarry continues. According to him, there will be a town hall meeting between the administration and SCA to make future plans. However, an anonymous SCA leader reports that she has “heard nothing of this.” 

“Although we haven’t done much…we want to do something that makes a difference in peoples’ high school experiences,” says another anonymous SCA representative. “However, it’s hard to get things done when the admin is very prone to vetoing our decisions, and not responding to our emails,” she continues. The fact that the admin doesn’t respond to SCA seems very problematic, given that everything must pass through them in the first place. 

“It’s hard to do anything else when the school puts so much event planning on us,” the student says. Could there be another club that has the sole purpose is to plan events? This would definitely give the SCA more room to operate in other fields.  

Next week the SCA will be having a meeting with the leaders of several major clubs to try to become more cohesive and productive, a big step in the right direction. However, the SCA is fueled by student opinion, so nothing will change unless the student population also steps up. So CHS, share your voice!