Got Clubs?

Wanting to get involved in one of the many clubs you hear on the announcements, but not sure how? Well here’s the answer for you.

Photo provided by Reid Dodson

We are the Line club posing on the Downtown Mall

Lily Wielar

Spanish Club:

Spanish Club is a great way to celebrate the culture and heritage of spanish speaking countries around the world, and to get involved in the Spanish community in Charlottesville. Meetings that take place in Ms.Nelson’s room, D146 the second tuesday of every month.

Pop Quiz:

Students gather every Tuesday after school in C201 for competitive trivia sessions with Ms. Hiller and Mr. Robinson. Students use their quick minds and thumbs as they race to buzz in and answer the variety of questions that range from pop culture to chemistry. The club also participates in national competitions and against other local schools as a part of VHSL.

Medical Science Club:

Students considering a career in any of the many fields within medical science will find it a worthwhile endeavor. This club meets every week on Thursdays after school in Ms. Hiller’s room or C201. This is a student led group that concentrates on the latest advancements, ethical considerations, and challenges in all things medical science.

Student Council:

Student Council Meetings are a great way to voice your ideas, concerns and input related to  the school. SCA meets every Monday after school in Ms. Hollar’s room 226 as well as every BKT and the monthly lunch table.

Athletic training:

Almost everyday after school the weight room is open to students and is run by professional trainers. Whether you want to simply exercise or you are conditioning from a specific sport the weight room has options for you.

BACON:

BACON, which stands for the best all around club of nerbs, has 9 subgroups that deal with different topics in the engineering, scientific, and environmental fields. Anyone is welcome to join and explore these fields.

1. Science Olympiad – Teams of students prepare for the big multi-event tournament hosted at CHS in January to compete with schools from all over the state
  2. FTC – Students design and build a robot to complete a series of challenges, both autonomous and driver-controlled.  
  3. Zero Robotics – A programming branch of BACON where students write code to control a robot in virtual 3D space.  
  4. Green BACON – focuses on environmentally-oriented projects, such as projects in the CHS garden and CHS greenhouse
  5. Science Bowl – 5 students compete quiz show style in topics covering a variety of sciences
  6. Science Fair – Students team up with UVA researchers to develop projects to compete in the Virginia Piedmont Regional Science Fair
  7. Media – Students are in charge of the t-shirts, posters, stickers, and social media for BACON
  8. Logistics – Students run and monitor all of the money, forms, field trip planning, and organization for BACON
  9. SPARK – Whatever you want!  Past projects include a go-cart, a tesla coil, a 3D printed airplane, and a weather balloon launched into near-space

Black Student Union:

The Black Student Union meets every thursday after school in the library to work to empower the black student body at CHS. The Black Student Union works to raise awareness on current events, discuss issues and what we can do to change them. This organization is a safe space for African- American students to have dialogue, build friendships, socialize, and plan and participate in community projects and events.  

Amnesty International:

Amnesty International meets every friday in Ms. Hornes room B234 and plays an active role in our community. Amnesty advocates for rights and raises awareness are C.H.S. and Charlottesville. The students also participate in a weekly letter writing campaign.

Chess Club:

The Chess Club meets every thursday after school in A235 for students to bond over their shared love of chess. Students are able to challenge each other and develop their strategy and skill.

Chinese Club:

Students learn more about the Chinese culture, language and society at Chinese club. The club is open to all students and meets every tuesday after school in D154.

Culture 2 Culture:

Culture 2 Culture tutoring meets during BKT and lunch and is a peer tutoring program where students are paired with ESL students. Culture 2 Culture allows students to not only help their fellow classmates academically but also develop friendships.

Debate:

Debate meets weekly on Mondays in Ms. Mahlburg room , C221. Students learn how to conduct themselves in a formal debate and participate in VHSL competitions against other schools across the state. Students even have the opportunity to compete nationally!

Dungeons and Dragons:

The Dungeons and Dragons club meets every friday after school in D224. Students are able to connect over the love for video games and discuss strategy gaming whether through board gaming, miniatures, or RPGs.

Fencing Club:

Students from C.H.S. and Buford learn to fence Mondays at Carver Rec Center. There is a $25 semester fee for equipment upkeep, but scholarships are available. Students need transportation home from Carver. Contact Ms. Sweet for more information.

Freestyle Rap Club:

All soundcloud rappers this club is for you. The Freestyle Rap Club meets every thursday after school in Mr. Horne’s room B234. The club allows rappers to collaborate and learn from one another and helps set up performance opportunities.

French Club:

French Club meets the first tuesday of every month in Madame Pritchards room, D130. Students set up activities for french week, and learn more about the french language and culture.

Garden Crew:

Every tuesday after school, the Garden Crew meets in the garden at C.H.S. or D159 in case of bad weather. The garden crew helps maintain the school garden and learns about farming, agriculture, and raises awareness for food justice issues.

Habitat for Humanity:

C.H.S. hosts its own branch of the Habitat for Humanity club. The club meets about once a month in Ms. Nelson’s room and is centered around community service and the missions of the Habitat for Humanity organization. Students focus on affordable housing and volunteer to make sure that all residents are not without a home.

Improv Club:

The Improv Club meets every friday after school in GT5 with the theatre teacher, Mr, Becker. The club participates in competition and works to improve their improv game.

Futsal Club:

The International Futsal Club meets weekly every friday after school until 5:30. In the fall the club meets on the tennis courts and during the spring they meet in the small gym. Students get together to play futsal, the FIFA recognized small sided soccer game played on a hard court, and showcase their skills.

International club:

The International Club celebrates the diversity found at C.H.S. by bringing together students of all nationality. Students are able to share their culture and traditions with one another and the international club sponsors the diversity week. The club meets every thursday after school in Ms. Vasquez room A221.

Key Club:

Key Club is a community service focussed club that works to better not only our school, but the local and national community. Meetings take place every tuesday afternoon in Ms. Hodges room, C222.

Young Feminists:

The Young Feminists is a national club whose parent organization is the Feminist Majority Foundation.  Young Feminists train student leaders as advocates and activists for women’s rights and sponsor events at CHS to advocate to women’s rights. Young Feminists meet every friday after school in Ms. Gehles room D212.

We are the Line:

We are the line meets every Tuesday in A212. We are the line works to advocate and stand up against violence towards women and educate about gender inequality. They also host a candlelight vigil and other events in Charlottesville.

PRISM:

PRISM meets every Thursday after school in Ms. Hollars room D156. The club works to advocate for Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer rights and discuss topics on community, identity, and culture.

Step Up:

Step up meets every Wednesday in Ms. Sweet’s room. Students in step up have helped rewrite our school’s dress code and help advocate and raise awareness about sexual assault in our community.

Video Game Club:

Students get together every Monday in Mr. Cale’s room B125 to play video games against each other in friendly competition and pick up new skills. They play a new game every week and anyone is welcome to join!