Cock-a-doodle-doo!

Jerold Gutierrez

Cock-a-doodle-doo! Have you ever seen a chicken in a classroom? Is it weird for you that there’s a chicken in a classroom? Well if it’s weird, then you will need to get used to it because on March 8, 2018 chicks came to Charlottesville High School. Mr. Peter Davis, who is the Personal Living and Finance and Urban Farming teacher, said that there are now 10 chicks that will be added to the garden in preparation for this coming spring and also there will be a chicken coop for the chickens of course.

The purpose of adding chickens in the garden according to Mr. Davis is because chickens can provide nitrogen for the compost pile, can replace machine tillers, fertilize the garden, spread mulch, dispose the garbage, control pests, and sanitize the orchard. But he most exciting part is that we get eggs. Also, it teaches students how to care for livestock and it is important for students to know where their food comes from.

The C.H.S. Garden coming this Spring will be full of surprises. There is no doubt about it. Seeing those little chicks chirping away to themselves is one of the best things in the world. The combination of chickens and a garden can create a strong backyard ecosystem. Along with fresh eggs and students fun, raising chickens provides a natural and simple way to add to a backyard’s health and beauty.