Spotlight on the Baseball Team

Brendan Riley, Staff Writer

In the past years the C.H.S. boys baseball team has struggled, only winning two games of their nineteen last year. However, this year they hope to make many improvements to their team. They have an abundance of young players on the team, with only a couple returning baseball stars. One of those returning stars is Sophomore Kai Oishi. Oishi has been playing baseball since he was five years old and plays travel baseball which helps his in-season performance. Kai and Jack Rabinowitz (another returning baseball star) play for the travel team The Baseball Company. The travel team works out year round and play in tournaments in the summer and fall at colleges such as UVA, UNC, VT, and Liberty. They also participate in conditioning in the fall and winter here at C.H.S. which helps all of their players get into better shape for the upcoming baseball season.

Some other key players returning are Drew Drumheller, Marcus Targonski, and Dalton Richardson. The baseball team’s warm up routine consists of jogging, stretching, throwing, batting practice, and infield outfield fielding. Another interesting thing about the baseball games is that Before each game the starting pitcher throws a pregame bullpen. “For me, playing on varsity as a freshman was a good experience,” reflected Oishi, “It was great to play against and know that I can compete with the best players in the area, and older, more experienced upperclassmen.”

Another improvement to the team is the baseball facility. With the recent founding of the Charlottesville college summer team, the Cville Tom Sox, they have improved the baseball field, the bleachers, the baseball equipment, and the batting cages they use to practice with. Another key player is Camden Elmore who was asked to reflect on his past season playing for C.H.S. and said, “A good memory I had would be my first varsity win against James Monroe. It was a close game until the end when our bats woke up and we scored 4 runs in one inning.” Although the baseball team has had some major setbacks, their team is young and a lot of the freshman from last year have gotten much better and improved their baseball skills. Oishi was also asked how their team is supposed to improve this year and responded saying, “I think that this program is young and we are rebuilding. A good goal for us would be to improve and get better than we were last year.”