The Secret Life Of The P.A.C.

It Has A Wild Past

Sam Neale, Sports Editor

Most C.H.S. students have been in the Martin Luther King Jr. Performing Arts Center for countless concerts, assemblies, theatre productions or other events, but what most students don’t know, is that some of the most famous artists of all time have stepped on the same stage that we do today.

After the P.A.C. was built in 1984, it was the only mid-sized auditorium in the Charlottesville community. Prior to the paramount being restored and John Paul Jones Arena being built, Charlottesville High’s P.A.C. was an attractive commodity to famous artists, according to orchestra teacher Laura Thomas. “Seth Myers came to the MLK P.A.C. with group of improv players about 15 to 16 years ago, and Tracy Morgan did a solo stand-up gig the same year,” said Thomas. On top of these, there have been a wide variety of events held at the 1,276-seat theater, ranging from the Moscow Ballet’s Nutcracker, to Ray Charles, to “Hello, Dolly,” to Bela Fleck, and even Chinese acrobats.  Of the notable performers at the Performing Arts Center, one of the most famous artists was Johnny Cash, who performed at the P.A.C. on October 17, 1992.

The addition of the Performing Arts Center has had a significant impact on not only our school, but on the Charlottesville community as well. Ever since 1984, Charlottesville High School has been well known for its performing arts programs, which is partly due to the venue in which they are able to use. But this wasn’t always the case. “When C.H.S. was first built in the mid-seventies, there was no auditorium. The band, orchestra, and chorus performed their concerts in the gym or at Walker School,” explained Ms. Thomas.

Since the construction of the Martin Luther King Jr. Performing Arts Center in 1984, multiple improvements have been made to the theatre. “We’ve improved the lighting and sounds systems, and replaced the curtains and added a couple of benches in the lobby,” according to Ms. Thomas. But it’s old charm remains: “The carpet and seats are original, and the 9′ Steinway Concert Grand was built in the 1910’s and has great bones.”

The impact of the Performing Arts Center is still felt among both the C.H.S. and the Charlottesville community today. The rich history of the Performing Arts Center has been hidden behind today’s performances, but the famous artists will not be forgotten.